Frequently Asked Questions

Child relocation

Do I need permission from the other parent to relocate with my children?

In many countries you need permission from the other parent if that parent also has parental authority. If you have sole parental authority, it can still be wise to ask for permission, to avoid court procedures started by the other parent to prevent the relocation. 

How do I avoid disputes about the move and the new visitation arrangement?

You can draft an international parenting plan prior to the move about such things as visitation arrangements, consultation and sharing of information. When drafting a parenting plan, you can also take into account any changes in circumstances in the future in advance.

What can I do if the other parent refuses to consult or negotiate with me?

You can draft a parenting plan yourself and submit it to the other parent and seek his or her consent. You can also ask the court to make a court order on the main issues in the parenting plan.

What are the advantages of writing a parenting plan together?

In most countries, the court can only ratify a parenting plan if it is signed by both parents. In that case, the agreements on various topics can be set out exactly as desired and ratified by the court. If there is no agreement on a parenting plan, the court can only tie the knot on a number of issues. Such a court decision is much less detailed than a jointly drafted parenting plan and is often less future-proof.

What is a good international visitation arrangement?

A good international contact arrangement takes into account: the distance, travel time and costs, the school vacations, the existing division of care responsibilities, the school vacations and contact arrangements of (half) sisters and brothers, the age of the child and other relevant circumstances and the possibilities of maintaining contact at a distance by means of video calls, for example.